Saturday, May 21, 2011

TOP TEN SMARTEST THINGS THAT HAVE I HAVE SEEN HAPPEN IN LAREDO

Here is my top ten list of smartest things I have seen happen since I moved here in 1992:

10.  Increase funding to Laredo Development Foundation under Mayor Betty Flores.

9.  Move city and school district elections to first Tuesday in November.  This has helped turnout and helped ease voter burnout.

8.  Laredo Transportation Association suggesting that truck crossing fees increase enough to fund the police to monitor the intersections along I-35 near bridge 2, and place a police officer on I-35 to assist the public in avoiding collisions with the trucks stacked up waiting to enter Mexico.    Remember when the trucks backed up on I-35 waiting to enter Mexico before the World Trade Bridge opened in April 2000.

7.  Mayor Saul Ramirez punching councilman Pancho Casso after a city council meeting. 

6.  Build Laredo Energy Arena.   Over 2.5 million people have visted the arena.

5.  Build I-35 and Loop 20 (Milo) interchange.  This project opened the warehouse district and allowed easy access to I-35 without the blockage due to train traffic.

4.  City council supported the North American Free Trade Agreement.

3.  Texas A&M International University was built.

2.  Loop 20 was constructed.

1.  The World Trade Bridge was built, and expanded.   By building WTB, Laredo was able to continue as the number one port along the US/Mexico border.  By expanding WTB by 8 lanes, Laredo was able to double its current capacity and throughput.   Laredo did what other cities only dream of, have 16 lanes for commercial truck traffic.

These are mine.  What are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment