Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A Scientific Breakthrough on Plastic Bag Bans

Plastic bags on Hwy 59 east of Loop 20
I think I read somewhere that Corpus Christi is going to vote on a plastic bag ban this week.  Well ain't that wonderful for you Corpusites....

I should tell you though, that I made a serious scientific discovery last week when I drove to Independence, Kansas from Laredo.

We, (south Texans) have been told by local environmentalist that plastic bags are polluting our landscape and waterways.  And if you look around you might believe that, as there are bags everywhere, in trees, in creeks, along the river, everywhere I tell you.  So, the environmentalist arguments might seem reasonable, and a ban is the ONLY way to prevent this pollution.

However, on my drive to Kansas, (I-35 to San Antonio, 281 to Wichita Falls, I-44 to Tulsa, US 75 to Independence) I noticed the further north I got, the less plastic bags there were hanging from the trees along the highway.  In fact, during some spare time in Independence, Ks., I made a trip around town (small town of 17,000 folks) and could not find one plastic bag hanging in a tree.  And I know they issue plastic bags at the mini-marts, grocery stores, and even at the big Walmart in Independence.  Again, let me repeat, I did not see one plastic bag hanging in a tree or for that matter, I saw very little if any litter at all.  

So, I was able to come to this conclusion based on my scientific method of observation and recording:  Plastic bags do not jump into trees, streams or ditches. 

Hence my hypothesis is this:  Plastic bags only end up in streams, trees, or ditches if the person to whom the bag has been issued allows that to happen, either by willfull disposal of the bag by just tossing it out onto the landscape, or accidental disposal by not keeping an eye on the bag, and it blows out of the motor vehicle in which it has been placed.

This hypothesis rightly shows then that plastic bag bans are not needed.  What is needed is a willingness of people to not litter and enforcement of existing litter laws . 

This hypothesis will save the shopper many dollars and headaches if bag bans are voted down.  What it will also do is stop the HEB's and Walmarts from being able to increase charging you for a service that you receive today.  Yes, you do pay for those small plastic bags today in the cost of your product.  But I promise you it is not noticeable on your bill.  That versus having to pay a minimum of a dollar per "reusable" bag.

Anyway, science, and the consumer wins again.

5 comments:

  1. I understand your argument, and I agree with it to some extent, but I don't know if it's fair to compare a community with 17K people with a larger town. Attitudes towards litter, and enforcement of ordinances in said towns could be worlds apart. And you have to remember that Laredo can't even police its drive thru beer runs. Enforcement around here is practically nil.

    Keyrose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small south Texas towns are the same way. Trash up in the brush & trees. :(.

      Delete
  2. I think your comment on attitudes towards litter is the key. I wish people in this town would see litter as the eyesore that it is.

    Laredo needs to take responsibility for something...They blew Sara off as a racist nut job from up north instead of examining some of the things she and many others have pointed out.

    But for this post, the idea is that bags do not jump in trees. People put them there.

    PS, thanks for the comments and keep up the good work on LsSanbe....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kind of like the German system of bagging. Cashiers don't do it for you. If you don't bring your own box, basket or bag, they look at you, like, "what do you expect me to do about it? Get your crap off my conveyer belt. There's a line behind you. Next time. Come prepared." haha! That was some serious culture shock for us when we got to Germany. Now, even at HEB Plus, I'm in the habit of bagging my own groceries. I can't help it. The Germans indoctrinated me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sam's Club doesn't offer bagging service, they provide boxes for you to use. HEB has paper bags, BUT you need to request them. Up here in Austin there is going to be a ban on plastic bags going into effect in less then a year. Laredo has an needs to be educated in the proper disposal of plastic, and maybe take pride in their city.

    ReplyDelete