Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Tuesday Jan 25, 2011

County Fire Department

Looks like Webb county will be looking to the voters to approve a fire district which will be capable of levying a tax to support the new fire department.

I agree that the county must have a good fire  department and that the proposed fire district is the way to go.  I also believe strongly that a volunteer fire department with some full time staff is the best model for fire protection in the county.  Over 80% of all fire departments in the United States are volunteer departments.  I have worked with volunteers in the Kansas City area and was impressed with their service and dedication.

However, I am hearing rumors that there may be problems with the fire chief.  I heard from a person very close to the Webb County Fire Department, that the chief is not even showing up at the fire station (located just off 59hwy behind the Webb County Highway Department lot).  This person also stated that the fire department has not received "certification."  As he tells it, the requirement to be certified are just filling out and submitting the proper forms.

Also, that the volunteers, while being paid $50.00 per shift, are being required to be at the fire station full time.  This is not the model that I am familiar with.  Full or part time fire department personnel work at the station as drivers.  Volunteers continue to work their regular jobs.  Once a fire call comes in, the driver at the station takes the fire fighting vehicle to the fire, and the volunteers respond from their homes or jobs to the scene. These volunteers are allowed to operate their private vehicles as "emergency vehicles" utilizing flashing lights and siren.  Volunteers are then paid per call, or a monthly fee.

If you wonder why we in Laredo should be concerned, we drive the highways and may own property in the county.  We need the best fire department the county can afford. 

I hope to get Webb County Commish Gerry Garza on the show for his comments.

State of the Union

I will be watching at least the beginning of the State of the Union Speech from President Obama tonight.  I am sure, like most Americans, after about 30 minutes, I will get bored and watch something else.  I did the same with Bush, Clinton, Bush, Regan, Carter, Ford, Nixon, Johnson, and maybe Kennedy.  I am not sure if Kennedy's SOU speechs were televised.  I can't remembers.  PS, I was born when Eisenhower was president.

No comments:

Post a Comment