Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Ray Garner: New Police Chief at Laredo PD

Last night, in a unanimous vote, the Laredo City Council approved the recommendation from City Manager Carlos Villarreal that current UISD Police Chief Ray Garner be hired as the new Chief of Police at the Laredo Police Department.

I have met Ray several times during my time in Laredo and always found him to be a knowledgeable and positive individual.  It will be interesting to see him deal with the Laredo Police Department, one fragmented with 3 separate police unions/associations.

I only heard part of Ray's presentation to city council, so I can't, at this time comment too much on that topic.  However, I will say that a 10 minute presentation does not make the man. So, I expect, any one of the three candidates would have made a good chief.  But, Garner got the nod, so LPD, it is time to back this new chief, give him a chance and hopefully those problems we hear about on the low key will be mitigated somewhat.

Chief Garner, good luck.

PS, Chief, go down a few post on this blog and read my post:  Open Letter to New Police Chief

3 comments:

  1. Just don't be a snob like some law enforcement. Some of these guys think they're royalty. Damn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally,,,the right man for the job. Congrats Chief Garner

    ReplyDelete