Tuesday, April 16, 2013

A New Record At a City Council Meeting: Or as I call it: Backslappersville....

How to properly back-slap.....
Well, last night at the Laredo city council meeting a record was set.

Was it a number of good laws passed?  No.

Was it a record amount of money being spent on things we really need like roads, sewer lines, or water lines?  No.

It was actually the numbers of "thank you's" spouted in one exchange between a city staffer and a city councilman.

Shortly after a request from the city staffer, a councilman responded with thanks.  It went something like this:

Councilman:  I want to thank you and your staff, they do an excellent job.  Thank you.
Staffer:  No, thank you councilman for all the work you do to help our department.
Councilman:  Thank you.
Staffer:  Thank you.
Councilman:  No, thank you.
Staffer:  Thanks again.

I got seven or so thank you's in one exchange.  I challenge you to report more.

PS, I am not opposed to thank you's, only the overuse of the phrase.

Thank you readers.....
No, really thank you readers.......
Readers, thank you for reading, really, I mean it......
I really, really mean it, thank you.


5 comments:

  1. I believe that a double dose of humility is in order.

    While you were counting the dishonorable "thank you" mentions,,, did you happen to notice that "sucking sound"? Love in a vacuum.!.. And believe you me,,, they LOVE themselves.!..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh,,, in "Laredo Speak" that would be,,, "Ya, no mames buey!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. So did Carlos say thank you for the $40,000 pay raise? So Tom, was it well deserved?

    ReplyDelete
  4. More on the Carlos raise later today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tom- your post made me laugh. Thank you. No, really, Thanks- Thank YOU. :)

    ReplyDelete