Saturday, April 20, 2013

CORRECTION; I had the data wrong on the texting ticket post.

"You twinkle toed idiot, what were you thinking"
My bad drill sergeant.
Thanks to Max over at Laredotejas for catching an error I made on my previous post.

Read the Laredotejas post here.

I stated that the city had only collected $6,000 in fines in the last 4 years for using a cellphone in a school zone.  The reality is that I misread the paper and the $6,000 was collected in a six month span from Sept. 2012 to April 2012.

However, I never stated, as appears in Laredotejas, that people should ignore any traffic laws.  In fact the whole point of my post is that just writing traffic tickets is not enough.  You have to have convictions for traffic offenses and you have to collect the fines.

I need not tell you the history of Laredo and it's outstanding scofflaws who owe the city thousands of dollars in unpaid fines.

Also, I must admit, that while the fines listed are just fines, and the court cost may not be included in that number, I still am shocked that in 4 years there is an average of less than one ticket per day for cell phone use in a school zone.   Or again, is the ordinance flawed and very hard to enforce?

And if the conviction rate is not in the 75% to 80% range on these violations, or any moving violation for that matter, why do we even have traffic codes.

Max, stand there and make the argument that Laredo enforces its traffic laws.  That is a post I would love to see.

3 comments:

  1. Tom Wade, nope, I cannot make that arguement especially when everyday I see Laredo drivers violating all sorts of laws. The post I made in response to yours was to point out the oversight.

    As far as me stating that you are telling people to ignore traffic laws, I posed it as a question: when Tom says go ahead get a ticket, is he saying go ahead text and drive? Since what would "get you a ticket" in this particular context would be you texting while driving, I think it was a valid question. I'm glad you have answered it and that you, of course, are NOT telling Laredoans to ignore any traffic laws. Thanks for the feedback Tom Wade. Keep up the good job on Wake up Laredo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you ever consider that maybe the ordinance is working and that is why there are so few tickets? Geez do you ever see good in anything?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right, there is no texting or cell phone use in school zones.

    ReplyDelete