Thursday, April 18, 2013

What Does Laredo Need Most: Museum or New City Council Chambers

US Post Office and Hamilton Hotel
I have not seen this in the local main stream media yet, but it looks like the City of Laredo is going to be "given" the downtown US Post Office Building, which also served for many years as the US Federal Courthouse.

And my source(s) tell me that the city is planning on using the soon to be acquired building as a new city council chambers.

I don't know if that really is the best use for a really historic building in this city.  I have been saying for the last few years that Laredo needs a real museum.  One that would be a central repository of all things historical relating to Laredo.  Our current mish-mash of museums includes, as far as I know, the Republic of the Rio Grande Museum, the Border Heritage Museum, and the soon or later to be built Laredo Veterans Museum.   For more Laredo history one can visit the Webb County Heritage Foundation, and the old LCC campus where Fort McIntosh is located.

The problem is that there is very little if any coordinated effort to really enhance these museums, and actually add to them.  All of these spaces are limited and scattered throughout the downtown area.

What I would suggest is that a much better use of the old US Post Office building  would be for a real museum instead of another set of city offices.  Besides, if you are needing a new city council meeting chambers, it needs to be a modern facility with all the audio visual needs addressed and in an area where there is convenient parking.   Maybe like the new city service center off Loop 20 that has plenty of close parking and plenty of room to add a large, modern meeting room for council and other meetings.

The old post office is a majestic building that looks like a museum should.  It is downtown, a place where we want to attract tourist.  It is large, multi-floored and would be a perfect place to display Laredo's historical items and documents.

Think about it, and let your councilperson know what you think.


4 comments:

  1. I posted on this a few weeks back and yes, I agree that the old federal building would make an excellent museum. Plus it's downtown- an area that definitely needs an injection of revitilization. As I mentioned previously, I was listening to one of the council meetings and cm Garza said something to the effect of "we'll soon be holding our meetings there".

    I really hope not, it could very well serve a higher purpose. Furthermore, I think practically all Laredoans would rather have a museum downtown that another city hall annex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yet, I will bet millions that we will have no choice in the matter.

      Delete
  2. What about turning it into a Maquinitas game room? Councilman Narvaez would be extremely happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three story gaming facility, a first in S. Texas. Yup, I can see the interest.......

      Delete