Monday, April 22, 2013

Internet Sales Tax: Could there be unintended consequences no one is talking about?

What may be the unintended consequences of
collecting internet sales taxes?
As early as today, the United States Senate may take up a bill (The Marketplace Fairness Act) that would allow states and local governments to collect all sales taxes due on products bought over the internet.  Today, the law allows a state (not city or county) to collect sales taxes from an internet sales company if they have a working facility in that state.Read Washington Post story here.

What is being proposed is that all internet sales, from those companies who have over $1 million in out of state sales, would have to collect and pay the sales tax due to the state, city, and county where the purchaser orders the goods from.   To comply with this bill, those affected internet sellers will  have to have some high powered sales tax figuring software, as there are thousands of taxing districts in the United States, many with odd sales tax laws that will have to be understood.  For example, Laredo has an 8.25% sales tax, other Texas cities have more or less.  Some states allow rounding up for sales tax collection on 1/2 cents, others round down.  So if I buy from Amazon, Walmart, Sears, or whomever online, my price will go up 8.25% on that sale.

Of course most brick and mortar retailers are all for this as they say the sales tax loophole provides a discount for those purchases made over the internet.  This is partly true.  And they believe that this law will make more people buy their products from local stores.  Again, this is partly true.  So, the National Federation of Retailers, including Walmart and other big box stores are all for The Marketplace Fairness Act.

Now, for the possible unintended consequences.

First off, when you buy over the internet you pay something that is not a line item charge on your product sale at the local store.  You pay freight.  That can range from free shipping for large purchases, to small dollar amounts to hundreds of dollars depending on the size, weight, and urgency for delivery.  So, while the retailer in the local store pays shipping cost, those cost are mitigated over truck load rates, not individual customer shipments.

So, there could be, as the brick and mortar retailers hope, a massive shift from internet purchases to local purchases.  If this is the case,. you will see less of the UPS and FedEx trucks in your neighborhood, less of the mailman delivering to your door.  That of course will mean job losses and spending shifts.

Or, this bill could force the online retailers (which I hope comes true) to actually reduce the price they charge for products in order to offset shipping and thereby increase their competitiveness with the local stores.

Of course this may start a price war, and everyone may reduce their cost, which will of course reduce the  total money collected for sales tax.

Another area, and I don't buy music, or rent tapes, where the tax could make an impact is on the sale of songs, video rental, software purchases, technical services, etc.  Too soon to tell.

Or, and this will be very interesting to see, it could force US internet retail purchasers to shop overseas for big ticket items like cameras, computers, etc.  I am not sure how this legislation addresses that.

Only time will tell.  But I can assure you a true winner in this whole process will the makers of the computer software that keeps track of and figures sales taxes for cities like Havana, Kansas, population 235 (on a good day.)  And of course the city, county, and state governments.

Losers, U.S. consumers who buy online, not because of price, but because of availability and choice.  Now those desires will be taxable.

3 comments:

  1. A note to add to this article. Apparently Amazon agrees with the legislation.

    So, either Amazon has decided it is all out war on pricing, or, they will sit back and hope sales continue because of availability and choice.

    We shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. EVERYBODY READ THIS TESTIMONY ON HOW I GOT MY LOAN FROM A LEGIT AND TRUSTED LOAN COMPANY My name is Kjerstin Lis, I have been searching for a loan to settle my debts, everyone I met scammed and took my money until I finally met Mr, Benjamin Breil Lee He was able to give me a loan of R 450,000.00.He also helped some other colleagues of mine. i am talking as the happiest person in the whole wide world today and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will tell the name to the whole wide world and i am so happy to say that my family is back for good because i was in need a loan to start my life all over as i am a single mum with 3 kids and the whole world seemed like it was hanging on me until i meant the GOD sent loan lender that changed my life and that of my family, a GOD fearing lender, Mr, Benjamin, he was the Savior GOD sent to rescue my family and at first i thought it was not going to be possible until i received my loan, i invited him over to my family get-together party which he did not decline and i will advise any one who is in genuine need of a loan to contact Mr, Benjamin Breil Lee via email at (247officedept@gmail.com ) because he is the most understanding and kind hearten lender I have ever met with a caring heart. He doesn't know that i am doing this by spreading his goodwill towards me but I feel I should share this with you all  contact the right loan company Email  via:  247officedept@gmail.com   or whatsapp +1-989-394-3740.  .  

    ReplyDelete