Monday, August 15, 2011

Good Ordinance, or Protectionist Ordinance?

Can I still hire my cousins if they are not "registered"?
I am not sure that I am all in favor of this proposed city ordinance to “register” contractors.  This might be one of those “watch what you wish for” ordinances.  These types of ordinances have a way of becoming protectionist.
I think, without having seen the proposed ordinance (I don’t think there is one yet), I would be concerned how this will impact the cost of construction in Laredo.  No, I am not talking about the big jobs, but the everyday small work you might want done around your house.
What about out of town contractors?  Will they have to register.  How much will this add to the price?  And how will Laredo be affected on biding from out of town contractors?  Will they no longer bid, hence raising our prices here in Laredo? 
Will the ordinance prevent me from hiring my friend, who is a skilled carpenter, but not registered with the city, to build, say a carport?  I am sure the restrictions on contractors will be linked to building permits, and that is my point.  Will I have to pay a higher price, just because I now have to hire a “registered” contractor?  Or, if I was writing the ordinance, will I, the consumer, have a choice?  Knowing the industry, and city council, choice is probably the last thing we will get.

No comments:

Post a Comment