Saturday, August 27, 2011

Where are the imaginations, the dreams?

Last week I was kayaking down the Rio Grande with the Critters and Crayons blogger, and Eric of Big River Outfitters.  One of the great things about the trip was the peaceful time just floating thinking of nothing but the flowing river and the people who first set eyes on the area.  I used my imagination to see the native North Americans who must have seen Laredo for what it would become, a very good place to cross the river for decades to come.  I wondered if those native pioneers could have ever versioned that over 1,000 motor driven carts and trailers hauling billions of dollars of freight would be crossings a manmade bridge every day.  Maybe one of the did have that imagination, and he/she passed that vision on down to the tribe, and that is how Laredo became what it is today.
No, this post is not about what Laredo is today, but about how people use their imagination and are our kids being robbed of the need to use their imagination.
I am not sure that all the technology that three and four year olds are exposed to today are really helpful in their ability to use their imaginations.  Reading a book, without illustration, requires the full use of your imagination.  You must base the objects and subjects in the books on places, things and people you are familiar with and yet at the same time you also will use your imagination to create a combined picture the author paints with their words.
How can kids today do that if they are reading only from the internet, or e-books that offer interactive connectivity?  And how often do parents just send their kid outside to be alone with no formal activity assigned, so the youngster can look at the sky and see people and things in the clouds.  Where a kid can look at a leaf floating down the stream and wonder if it will make it to the ocean?  When do today’s kids have the time to just sit alone and dream of things we as adults cannot imagine?
I was lucky.  I grew up when television was first coming of age.  I had parents who both worked and allowed me lots of free time (as they were too tired to play with me) to dream and imagine.  I hope that kids still have this time to themselves.
It bothers me to see kids under 10 years old with cell phones texting their friends.  Texting, now that the cost is almost nothing, consume what I see as an enormous amount of time and energy. As does surfing the internet.  Now don’t get me wrong, I think the internet is great for kids and adults.  Yet, like any good thing, it needs to be used in moderation.
So, I ask you, the parents of kids today; Do kids still imagine, and dream?  If you don’t know, you better find out and fix it, or we may never put another man on the moon, or see another new fangled Frisbee.  

6 comments:

  1. Tom- I love this post. I might have to have you as a guest writer on the blog- I think parents would be interested in the topic. What you're talking about is one of the reasons I gave up the smart phone. I didn't want my kids to see me checking it all the time, or emailing someone- and think that that is the way to spend your free time. If they see me do it non-stop, they'll definitely emulate. It's tough. A parent doesn't want a child to be illiterate with technology- I imagine that can cause a whole new type of peer-based insecurity- so we want them competent and familiar- but not too familiar or dependent. This is going to be hard to manage. Thanks, again- I really loved this one-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom- I posted this to the Blog's FB page at: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Critters-and-Crayons/146828848723062

    ReplyDelete
  3. This haunts me as well. Both for my own children and the kids here in Laredo. I popped over from Critters and Crayons to read this and I'm glad I did. My life work is dedicated to "sparking curiosity and nurturing creativity" as I serve as Program Director at the Imaginarium part time and spend the rest of my time with my children and their friends. I hope that your words are read far and wide and that they strike a chord with parents everywhere. Nurture that imagination and then step back and let it grow. Make time for something that only develops when time is allowed for it. And don't make the mistake of thinking that the need for time to dream ends when school starts. Bravo, Tom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/44122383/ns/today-parenting/t/not-your-imagination-kids-today-really-are-less-creative-study-says/#.TlqC5l3mOt8

    I think today there is such a demand for kids to fit into a set definition and creativity is frowned upon. Standardized testing does just that- it forms a standard that they want. Generally this standard is someone who is less informed, less creative, and more of a worker bee. I feel it is up to the me (the parent) the encourage my kids to be creative, imaginative, and intelligent by means of creative outlets that include electronic devices and sending them outside with a magnifying glass and a stick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm at a disadvantage having chosen not to have children but from what I observe...

    Kids do dream and create but as a whole, our society does not place value on it so it is encouraged. Like anonymous said, we tend to want to fit kids in a nice little box and keep them like that. It takes a community to change that mindset and I am glad to see that there are pockets of people who want the mind to just wander and explore. I don't blame technology so much. After all, it is created and nurtured by hundreds of creative people come up with it.

    Signed - the artsy blogger :P (Dang art degree - not valued by employers!! Hahaha)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for replying. I am not exposed to kids everyday, but I am bothered by the fact that when I drive around Laredo, I see very few kids playing in their yards. Now part of that is because of the high walls everyone seems to have in this town (another post to come) and I just can't see the kids. Parks are fine, but usually the parent must accompany the child to the park, hence some sort of organized play. At home, in the yard, with mom or dad not in the way, imaginations and curiousity can become the toys that require no purchase or repair.

    ReplyDelete