Saturday, August 13, 2011

Saturday Morning At Starbucks - Read A Local Blog, Learn Something

As I sit here drinking my black iced tea, I was checking out the local blogs I read on a daily basis (Not in any order:  Critters and Crayons, La Sanbe, LaredoTejas, QueFregados) and came to the conclusion that Laredoan's who do not read the local blogs are really missing out on what is happening in Laredo.  And they are missing out on the chance to participate in the local community by commenting on blogs.

Advice to a new blog reader: 

1.  Read a blog that reflects your values first.  Learn how to comment and understand the communications process between commenter's and bloggers.  This is much easier when you start out with people who think like you do.  They may not be mean or rude to you if you are like minded.  Not that any Laredo bloggers I have seen respond rudely, but on the national level that can be pretty common.

2.  Once you have learned the blogging process, start reading other blogs, no matter the content.  You will be surprised by what you will see.  You might start off reading what you assume is a totally liberal blog, but find in a couple of days that the blogger has other opinions and ideas.  Some people actually think I am a rabid wild dog Republican, Tea Party, non-compromising SOB.  But after they have read my blog for a while will see that I am not that person.  I have my convictions and rarely stray from them, but I am not rabid about national political platforms or planks.    For instance, I like the Tea Party.  I do not support the death penalty.  I am more pro-life than not.  I have no problem with gays getting married.  I think the terminology may be wrong, and that something could be worked out, as the main argument seems to be over benefits.  Anyway, enough on me.  This variance of opinions and political leanings is what you find in most bloggers, as well as most Americans...funny idea huh.

3.  Once you find a goup of bloggers you like, continue to read and comment.  Some bloggers sell advertising and their profitability is measured in website hits.

So, to my friends who read this blog....take a spin through the local blogoshpere and read some of the blogs I have linked on the right side of this page.  Then, look at the other bloggers links.  You will find out things about Laredo you never knew, and events you may have never heard about.

tom

2 comments:

  1. Nice writeup, there.

    Some cornerstone blogs for me are:

    1) De Laredo 2.0 (the guy's been around for years)

    2) La Guera del Norte (new blog destined to take Laredo by storm, I'm sure)

    3) Furniture in Life (Recent blog that is reflective and deeply personal).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks BT, I will add them to my sidebar.

    ReplyDelete